Tuesday, September 30, 2008

35 Weeks and Counting Down!

The latest plan for Joey's arrival is a C-Section to be performed on Halloween. I want to get some body paint and make up Jenifer's belly like a Jack-O-Lantern, but I haven't convinced her to participate in that one yet. We had another check up today. They will be done each week now until the birth. We are both so very excited. I guess I'll get to dress up like a doctor this year. We also went for a tour of the hospital today. It was neat to see where it will all happen. We even got to see them cleaning up a newborn in the nursery. The visit was very nice all except for one thing. I was shocked at how far you have to walk from the parking garage to Labor and Delivery. I asked about that and they said if it is urgent to pull up to the front and use the valet parking... This country boy isn't happy about the thought of some yo-yo driving his truck! I can't figure why they would make the Labor and Delivery area so difficult to access.... Just imagine a pregnant woman screaming with labor pain arriving at the hospital and having to walk a few hundred yards to get to the check in desk. Bah! In any case... with any luck we will arrive on a schedule and not in a hurry. We still have to pack our last minute bags. Jenifer has a list of ideas of what to pack for the hospital... but if any of you readers out there in internet land want to add your own suggestions, please leave it in a comment. We would love to hear from you.

4 comments:

Just Jen said...

I'm a willing participant for the jack o' lantern painting project.

As far as the distance from parking to the L&D I hope our boy can stick with the schedule too, but its a small peace of mind knowing the exit door isn't anywhere nearby. The security of the L&D unit seems top notch.

Gary, Megan and Beth said...

As far as things you will need. Make sure you take all our shower stuff. Blow dryer, brushes, house shoes, gowns. You will want to take a shower the next day. That is if they have one in your room. You will feel much better. It will be hard to do and you will be sore. But it feels good to be clean and have your hair washed. Take it slow. Do not rush to do anything. Walking around helps. But, like I said take it slow. Most importantly, get plenty of rest. Make people wait on you. Take advantage of it while you can. We can't wait to meet Joey!
Love,
Megan
Have any questions or concerns, call me. In my opinion, c-section is the best way to go.

Sheri Ellis said...

I want to see a picture of the 'jack o'belly'.

Don't forget the chapstick!!!! If you plan on nursing take some Lanolin cream. Since the c-section is scheduled for Halloween, you must buy a halloween onsie and take a pic. He must be dressed up for his first Halloween. Take a cap for Joey, I'm not sure what they have at the hospital there, but the one they put on Austin when he was born was ugly (fortunately there is a group of ladies at the Fayette hospital that knit really cute ones).

Mandy said...

Ok, several things...You're a better woman than I to agree to the belly painting project! Have fun with that one! I agree with Megan and Sheri...except I have to disagree with Megan on the c-section, but only because I haven't had one - the "other" way was easy for me. But, at least you know when Joey will be here and you can plan that - I like that much better for sure!

Ok - absolutely let everyone wait on you hand and foot (and belly). You are at their beckon call and take advantage while you're still at the hospital. If they'll allow you to send Joey to the nursery at night, DO IT. That way you'll get some undisturbed sleep - well, until they come in to give you meds, check your bp, and attach that kid to you to eat! HA! Sheri's right - take pure lanolin. If you don't have any, GET IT. I'm not sure if you're planning on nursing or not. If you are, the only suggestion I can give you to get ready for that is this (men, don't read) - just rub your boobs up against some brick because that's about all that could possibly get you ready! Sorry, I can't believe I just told you that. If you're nursing, you'll be fine - just stick with it and get through the initial pain and you'll be great.

As far as taking things to the hospital. Take some of his own onesies and hats like Sheri said (Halloween outfit for sure). Also take a robe and slippers. I just wanted to be comfortable so I took my sweat pants and t-shirts and put a nice robe over it. My Mom was so upset that I wasn't in a pretty gown, etc....I wanted to be comfortable!

You guys are going to be the best parents! Don't worry about anything - just relax and enjoy every second! Joey is going to be perfect!!!

Sorry for writing a book - and hope you're not too afraid about my brick comment...it's really not quite that bad! The final countdown is on!!! Love you all!