Friday, May 1, 2009

7 Months Old

Seven months ago today Jenifer called me at work upset because the baby was coming 5 weeks early. She said in a scared and sad voice "He isn't ready yet!". After breaking several traffic laws getting home, I spent that entire day showing strength and confidence to her that everything would be ok. I told her that it would soon just be a story about the day we got to meet Joey. Inside my heart felt like the wings of a spooked covey of quail. I was both scared and excited. I had so much left to do in preparation for his arrival. What an exciting day that was.
Today we are excited again. We are on vacation, and Tuesday we will be taking Joey on his first airplane trip to meet lots of people he has only heard about so far. I have to admit that I am apprehensive about the travel. So much can happen when you are away from the home base. What if he screams his head off for the entire airplane ride? What if the swine flu is a bigger deal than they are letting on? What if we run out of diapers on the plane? What if the rental company sticks us with a sub compact and his car seat won't fit? Ok so I am not really that worried. I have always been able to handle whatever comes my way. It does, however, take getting used to having someone so dependent on us. I imagine it will be just as tough accepting when he doesn't need us so much anymore. Thank goodness that is a long time away.

3 comments:

KKeyes821 said...

Gosh, I'm nervous just taking MJ for an outing in the car so I can completely understand the nervousness about the plane ride. Something tells me Joey will do wonderful though and charm all those flight attendants with that beautiful smile. :) Hope you guys have a wonderful vacation. You deserve some family time together!

Gary, Megan and Beth said...

Just a word of advice. On the plane make sure that he has something to suck on. So the pressure won't hurt his ears. That is what we did with Beth Anne. We hope and pray that you have safe travels and have a lot of fun.
Megan

Nanalaine said...

Well, since I know it's not your nature to worry, I assume you're just thinking out loud (so to speak) and not really worried. Joey will do fine...he's always up for an adventure! Have a wonderful time showing him off to everyone, but whisper "Nanalaine" in his ear every once in a while so he won't forget me!